Stadio Olimpico

Stadio Olimpico

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chatting to Liverpool FC captain Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard sat down and talked with press about Liverpool's victory against Real Madrid as well as the possibility of this year winning the champions league.

How does the Madrid victory rank alongside all the big European nights at Anfield?
Steven Gerrard: It ranks right alongside the best ones. I have been lucky enough to play in some big games at Anfield, especially in the Champions League, but the Real Madrid victory is certainly up there. We've got fantastic supporters who raise their performance on European nights. They bring their flags and make an awful lot of noise which gives the Liverpool players a big lift and a big help on the night.

Were you aware that you were playing in your 100th European match?
Gerrard: Yes, of course. It was a special night for me, personally. A lot of people were texting me on my mobile phone before the game, reminding me, but I already knew. I was very happy to reach that milestone and it makes me feel really proud to achieve that.

Liverpool were crowned European champions in Rome in both 1977 and 1984. Does it add extra significance ahead of this year's final at the Stadio Olimpico?
Gerrard: I'd say so. Obviously that's the history of the football club, and the idea for us players today is to add to that history – we want to be the team that goes to Rome and does it again. We remember those magical nights, so if we were to go and do that again, it would be really special.

You were born and raised in the city. What does Liverpool FC mean to you?
Gerrard: It means everything to me. I've supported the club ever since I started watching football. A lot of my family are Liverpool supporters, a lot of my friends, and I still live in the city. So when we do win and get good results, and win trophies, it's nice to be part of it and enjoy it with the supporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment